Managing an online community especially if it is created around a brand or a product requires careful thinking and planning. It also requires active involvement of the community manager. The things to pay attention to while managing a community include:
- Finding a purpose to keep the community together. It is important to have a clear goal with which the members are aligned.
- Constantly remind the members of the purpose of the community through emails, communications, blogs, chats, etc.
- Use good content that is relevant to the purpose of the community to keep the interest level high. Encourage the members to create and post content and initiate dialogue and discussion.
- Have patience; it takes a while for a community to take off.
- Be friendly and approachable to the members.
- Do not be afraid to kick out members who do not adhere to the community guidelines, are trolls, or like to create dissension.