Open Online Community
- Anyone with access to the internet (this includes industry competitors) can view all discussion forums and information in the online community
- Users only provide login credentials when wishing to contribute to the community
- Anyone can join the community
- Examples: Aerohive Communities, Cypress and Blue Jean
Private Online Community
- Information and conversations can only be accessed by users with log-ins (often sent via an invitation to a specific group or pre-loaded into the community platform's membership database).
- All users are forced to obtain and input login credentials to see content and conversations.
- Administrators have the ability to deny access to users who don't fit membership credentials (i.e members, customers, participants in a specific industry)
- Examples: BlackBaud, New Holland and The SAS Center for Health Analytics and Insights (CHAI)