top button

How do you engage an online community volunteering their free time?

+2 votes
posted Jul 31 by Madan R

Share this question
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

1 Answer

0 votes

There are some obvious answers to this questions, but I have arranged so many community events and so often people promise to do things and then find they cannot, often due to good reason. So these are what I would find most helpful in a volunteer!

• Don’t commit to something you aren’t 95% sure you can do. You are just delaying the guilt of saying no. Better to say no so the organisers can find a replacement ASAP. If you cannot help at the last minute, try to find someone to replace you.
  • Help at the end. I organised an event recently. So many people at the beginning were willing to help when they arrived (when everything had already been arranged in advance). When it came to clearing up, noone was around. The organisers, even of a two hour event, have probably been working hard for 5 or 6 hours that day alone by the time everyone starts to leave. If everyone puts their stuff in the bin or puts away a chair it will save hours of work.
  • Be a promoter. It’s actually fairly easy to book a venue, a caterer, entertainment and decorations. What is FRIGHTENING for an organiser is whether anyone can turn up! Inviting people in your networks is one of the most useful things you could do to help the organisers.
answer Aug 2 by Nithisha R